Friday, March 21, 2014

Food, planning and shopping

One of the things I would like to do better in my life is the procurement and production of food. Right now, I have a load of recipes that all taste quite good, aren't too hard to make, and yet I find myself eating bowls of potatoes and stacks of sandwiches.

I think what I need to do it create a rotation of meals, that is quite limited, very tasty, cheap, and easy to make even when I am crushed under a pile of papers. We tend to eat one big meal per day, and eat the leftovers the next day as breakfast. I want them all to be very filling, and pretty easy to take to work/school with me. I also don't want to eat the same base protein 2 days in a row if I can help it (monotony in high doses gets to me). Here are some of the meals I can think of, off of the top of my head:

Black-eyed peas:
Black-eyed pea burrito with potatoes
Black-eyed pea salsa salad
Black-eyed pea kale and lemon tahini sauce salad.

Lentils:
Lentils and kale with tahini sauce
Lentil and Potato salad
Lentils, kale, and mushroom salad

Tofu:
Sautéed tofu and spinach with peanut sauce
Tofu and Avocado curry with kale
Tofu, tomato, brewer's yeast, mayo, lettuce sandwich (optional avocado)

Others/extras/snacks/breakfasts:
Oatmeal with apple, rasin, and cinnamon
Potato with green onions, olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar
Seitan, tomato, lettuce, mayo, brewer's yeast, pickle sandwich
Smoothie with cocoa powder, peanut butter and bananas

So, theoretically, if I did a black-eyed pea meal followed by a lentil meal followed by a tofu meal, I have nine days of meals, plus 4 breakfasts/snacks to break it up. Also, since I soak/sprout my lentils for 1 day and black eyed peas for 2 days, if I start both the lentils and black eyed peas soaking on the tofu day, they will always be ready for cooking on the right day. Plus, most of these meals include a good share of vegetables, and I can eat fruits with my snacks. I'm going to try it out and see how it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment